Friday, 24 March 2017

ROCKING YOUR WORLD FRIDAY - 12TH OF 2016

Good Morning lovely people tis Friday


So it has been a busy week overall - has it been full of photos and fun - well not so much, if I'm brutally honest, said 16 year old and his revision schedule is making for rather a dull life for all of us at the moment, but lets wade through the last seven days to see if we can find those silver linings. 

Last Friday I was strictly instructed to craft not clean!  So I went searching through my 'alterables' box - anyone who crafts will know that hoarding box of things we really must alter by attacking with paint, paper, glue etc, the box contents tend to continue to grow but our lack of progress on tackling the alterables is a standard.  So I dragged out a few pieces.  This one had already been 'started' I initially was going to repaint and start again, but I decided to just attack it with some paper that was on my desk.  The downside of concertina fold in this style is the lack of depth that you can use on the pages before it starts to distort - alas this is still the case, but I had fun nonetheless!


I had to go and purchase a few items from certain craft shops and my Mum asked if I needed some company, so we got to spend a couple of hours together.  When we got back, my Mum's cat Murphy was very interested in having his photo taken, however, he wasn't so keen on standing still!


He did enjoy getting very close to my camera on my phone!   I think the noise it was making made him more inquisitive!


Saturday morning and despite said 16 year old having so much to do in the way of revision, we decided to take an hour out and let him try on some prom suits.  Needless to say I can't share the chosen one but I did grab this rejected suit one! 

I'm sure I'm not the only Mum to suddenly wonder where all the years have gone when said 16 year old is stood in front of me wearing a 3 piece suit!  Having tried on various, trudged around many stores, he still preferred the second one he tried on, thankfully we were able to purchase with the help of my Mum on Sunday (because he has great taste in suits which means expensive!).  My Mum welled up which made me smile, as she said she didn't think she would! 


After we left the shopping centre, we headed into town as Gemma from the Button Tin has recently had to move business premises and had an open event.  We weren't sure we would find it very easily, but we did.  Her new studio (despite being underground) is actually very light and airy and enabled her to show off her amazing textile creations.  We did a class with Gemma a couple of years ago in her old studio and had a fabulous afternoon.  So I'm hoping we might be able to do the same again in the future! 

We didn't actually get any photos of any of her new studio space unfortunately, however when we came back out into the bright sunlight, we spotted a gallery across the way - not that it was open.  We had a peer through the window - I loved the metal sculpture, hoping to pop back when it is open. 


Saturday afternoon found us rugby watching, we'd missed the first match and the Tivo box had decided it didn't need to record it! Argh, but watched the second and third matches.  No guesses at which match this one was hubby was mighty frustrated at the England game


He did calm though, but I'm not sure sitting that close to the TV wasn't warranted!

I did attempt to craft whilst the rugby was on, but look at the size of the space I was working on! 


Sunday found us back at the shopping centre to pick the suit up and then we spent a very enjoyable few hours catching up with my Mum, sister and niece putting the world to rights.  Always fun!

We managed a fire as it has been mighty chilly some evenings in particular at the weekend.


In fact Saturday night was just a perfect night, roaring fire, glass of red wine and the second illustrated Harry Potter book, I loved the first illustrated one, the book is beautiful and I'm giddy to note that they are bringing the third one out near Christmas!


Work has been mighty busy - but then I'm gearing up to year end so that isn't really a surprise if I'm honest. 

Me and hubby commenced yet a new eating plan on Monday, desperately in need of shifting some of the excess before the warm weather and holiday season is upon us!  Mind you got loads to lose so be glad just to make a dent as it were. 

Evenings have been spent without said 16 year old on the whole as he is battling to revise for his impending exams.  We were somewhat stressed out on Wednesday to discover the 10 hour art exam, that we thought was after the Easter break is in fact on the 3 and 4 April, then we had a sigh of relief that at least that gives him 2 weekends to finish his sketch book, only to find that he has a revision weekend away next weekend!   Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  So he stayed to a long art session on Thursday evening from 3.30pm until 7.30pm.  He also stayed for maths revision on Monday, Science revision on Wednesday.  Today he has his usual DT Food, Art, Media and RE, but he also has his speaking exam at lunchtime, a meeting about his revision weekend at break and an RE test last lesson.  Stressed - can you hear me stressed, not only is he counting down the days, but so are we if I'm honest. 

I think once the art exam is out of the way that may actually help as it is one less thing to worry about as it were.  But the time really can't come soon enough. 

Whilst he was at art yesterday we went to a parent's evening for the NCS - National Citizens Service.  He has signed up to it for 4 weeks over the summer.  A week at a youth hostel doing outdoor activities, a week at Leeds university, living the student life (minus the sex, drugs and alcohol - that's one of the rules) learning to manage on a budget, gaining a First Aid qualification, speaking to University people about putting a good personal statement together and general teambuilding.  And the last two weeks doing some sort of social action project for a local organisation, whether that be fundraising through sponsorships or as one group in the area did last year, recording and releasing a single.  There is a graduation ceremony in September and the chance to continue helping in a volunteer capacity going forward! 

So that's his summer sorted! 

Well lovely people, I think that is it for this week, I actually had more positive than I had initially thought! 

I hope you've had a great week, if you fancy joining in pop a post together, come back and link up. 

Remember to leave a message so I can come and visit. 


4 comments:

  1. Sorry I haven't blogged today. We have been away on a campsite without wifi or electricity. But we're back now and i am wading through 376 emails and FB messages.
    Said 16 yr old is looking forward to an exciting summer. But first the exams. So stressful, I know. It seems your lad is really working hard and doing his best. That in itself is a blessing. I hope and pray he does well.I'm sure you'll keep us imformed.
    Have a relaxing weekend,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you sure were busy as usual. Your lad seems to have a heavy schedule too, but at least you can be grateful he is taking it all so seriously. A lot of lads his age don't. He deserves to do well in life with a work ethic like that.
    I sure he will look very smart in his suit but I kind of wish they would end O levels with a 'posh' disco or something. I went to see my grand-daughter go in to her prom, and half the girls just look uncomfortable. they are not all ready for the full ball gown etc. I know she didn't really enjoy it. It would be better to save that for after A levels. I am probably just a bit old fashioned about it though!
    I certainly have my 'for altering' box, and it is overflowing as usual.
    I'm glad you managed some good family time. It always helps to iron out the week's creases. Hugs Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...where to start! Your lives are so intense at the moment. Don't forget to take some down time to just sit in the sun this weekend XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Said 16yr old looks so smart - I look forward to seeing him in 'the' suit once the prom has arrived.
    Exam time can be so stressful but it looks like he is being very organised. Great also to have stuff to look forward to over the Summer.
    Have a lovely weekend Virginia.
    Toni xx

    ReplyDelete